The local flower shop. Bulbs and bulbs everywhere. No, thank you. I want a beauty that will last - at least - half a year. An orchid then. Phalaenopsis, the most popular, and cheap, and easy one.
I walked around for some seconds and my eyes found it immediately. That's it !! Not white, not purple just yellow/greenish. It would fit in my yellow checkered/flowered pot. In my yellow kitchen nook. The price was quite reasonable too: € 9,99. Yay !!
- Hi ! I've made my choice: I'm going to take this one.
- Pretty choice !
- Please, some piece of advice ? How much water should I give it?
- Very little. Once a week or so. Once in a month give some liquid fertilizer. Wanna buy some ?
- I have it home, thanks.
- And orchid soil ?
- As well...
- Oh, then you know already about how to take care of them ?
- Actually, I kill them all. Always. All of them. That's why I have been collecting cactuses lately. I am just double and triple checking with you about what to do.
- Ooooh, you are too gentle for your orchids. Just little water. Some fertilizer. Half light, half shadow. When the flower is dead and the stalk starts to get dark brown, cut it out where is not brown. And give even less water. You have the guarantee of flowers for at least 7-8months. 10 euros please.
- Here you are. I have also this loyalty card. I need the last stamp on it please.
- Sure. Here you are. Now, you have a full card.
- And what do I get now this card is full ?
- You get a 10 euro discount during your next buy. A new orchid, for example, when you kill this one, hahah !
- Hahah ! Goodbye !
- I wish you a nice afternoon. It is dry and sunny. Veel plezier met je orchid ! Goodbye.
While I walked out the shop to where my bike was parked her words still echoed in my mind: "...a new orchid... you are going to kill this one too... kill... kill..." I laughed inside. I really did. I even had to dry my eyes with the back of my hand. I am too long in the NL to feel offended about the so famous DUTCH HONESTY !!!!
(Psst ! For another episode of Dutch honesty go here.)
Thanks for following Greetings from Holland !
On Twitter: @AnnaGFH