Wednesday, November 24, 2010

A Dutch Exposure (brag, brag, brag...)

I have said it here before: the Dutch are a very private people.

However, they do like to shout out to the world some personal achievements, such as turning 50 years old, passing exams / a new school year, having a baby...

I had no idea my neighbour's name was Magda - or that she had completed the New York Marathon. Now I know it and have to see it everyday from my kitchen window for over a week:

Hey Marga, why don't you hang it on your living room wall ?

7 comments:

Line said...

Hahaha! That's true, you've got a point! They are always very proud of themselves and their personal achievements and they want everybody to know. That's nice, I like it!

Rachel said...

Awesome! I bet she will hang it on her living room wall afterward ;) I know I would

Amanda said...

how funny it is to see what things provoke a private people to be public about!

Simone Westerduin said...

I always wondering why people like to let the others know about this facts! But in Brazil you might not have the opportunity to hang something like that in front of your house, the neighbours always know the news first than you :)

Anita said...

Girls, I think it is such a village (=tacky) mentality thing that happens in this country. I did have a stork figurine in my garden when my first was born and hung a pink flag when my daughter was born. But I do not remember of bragging about any other thing (marriage, exams, buying a new car, turning 40 years old, diploma ABC, etc.). Maybe I have missed many opportunities of being commented around the neighbourhood - who knows ?

Larissa, Lara, Lalá, .... said...

Essa, eu nunca tinha visto ... coisas da Holanda. Beijos

Zoe said...

Good observation Anita! Every month in my work teher is someone funny picture because he/she is getting older, 50, 60 year old!
I've heard from my dutch teacher that if the teenagers completes high school they hang their backpacks on the top of the house, or wherever people on the streets see! Interesting, isn't it?
Funny dutch behaviour!